Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:04:39 -0400
Mary wrote:

> MCT oil has come to my attention as an antifungal. Would this be a more
> natural one than nystatin? I am very uncomfortable with nystatin.
If you are looking for anti-yeast supplements here are a few suggestions:
Grapefruit/citrus seed extract (NOT to be cofused with grape seed extract)
Garlic
Caprilic acid (this would be the fatty acid in the MCT oil that kills yeast)

I used these (and some others, don't remember the rest right now) to great
effect. I was already eating low carb at the time (no grains, no starches,
no sugars, etc.). A generous amount of these supplements got rid of yeast
rather quickly (within a few days). But a word of warning -- if you take
too much the yeast will die off too quickly and you will feel sick (as if
you had food poisoning). This happened to me. Since I believe you were
asking about this for your child I would be very cautious and start with
a very small amount.

The brand of grapefruit extract I used is 'NutriBiotic'. I love garlic,
so I ate the real thing, not the pills. If you are looking for a good
food source of caprilic acid then you should look into coconut oil/milk,
I believe it has a good amount of medium chain triglycerides in it.

Ilya