From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:33:17 -0400
Wow, I'd never heard of that (nicotine as treatment).  When I was a
teenager, the family doctor diagnosed me as having "mucosal colitis", which
I think is a medical way of saying "inflammation of the digestive tract of
unknown origin".  They attributed it to stress.  Although I did have a bit
of stress during that period, I doubt that it did more than aggravate the
condition.  I was given Donnatal, an anti-spasmodic, and that actually
worked fairly well.  But even back then, I couldn't see being depenedent on
a drug all my life, and I eventually stopped taking it.

When I changed my diet last year (originally Atkins, and then Neanderthin),
the symptoms disappeared for months.  Then something strange happened.  The
symptoms started coming back, when I was eating foods that should have no
effect.  I think what's happened is that by not eating those foods anymore,
I've become far more sensitive.  Now, the tiny amounts of gluten found in
seasonings are enough to trigger a reaction.  So I find that I'm forced to
be as paleo as possible, even avoiding seasonings or paying the price.

Hmm.  Now that I think about it, you've might have a point about the
nicotine.  I don't remember this problem being very noticeable when I was
smoking.  Before I started smoking it was bad, and after I quit it was too,
but not so bad while.  Geez, what a dilemna.  Trade your lungs for your
intestines...  Maybe I'll grow some tobacco in the garden this year!

Take care,
John Pavao
Incidentally  he was diagnosed within weeks of stopping smoking. I recall
reading an article in the New Scientist about nicotine being used to treat
certain intestinal disorders. Interesting or what?