From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:20:04 -0400
Until just recently, the variety wasn't so wide.  We were talking about one
diet, and perhaps the variations on that one (because there are differing
opinions on what exactly is paleo and what is not).  Only in the past few
weeks has the discussion often begun to swing very wide of topic.  Now we
have people making all kinds of suggestions and recommendations that have
little or nothing to do with paleolithic diet.  And again, I say that these
helpful and well-meant suggestions simply do not belong if the list is to
remain on the topic of _paleolithic_ diet.  They should be sent in private
e-mail.  Hey, maybe Grant will pipe in and tell me I'm wrong.  If so, he
can unsubscribe me at the same time, because I'm no longer interested in
participating.  If I wanted to hear about all that other stuff, I'd
subscribe to other lists where that stuff is ON TOPIC.  Here, it is not.  I
guess I don't understand why this is an issue.  I certainly wouldn't join
the Classic Chevy list and recommend to people to buy a new Ford, so why is
it necessary for people to subscribe to the Paleolithic Eating Support List
and recommend to people all sorts of things that are completely outside the
scope of Paleolithic Eating?!?  And then act like I'm not making sense for
saying something about it?

Beliefs system.  I believe... first and foremost in consideration.  In this
instance, I am "riled", to use your word, because I feel that it is
inconsiderate to jump on a list and post off-topic messages, especially
ones which contain recommendations that go completely against the grain of
the actual topic of the list.  I mean, everyone posts the occasional
off-topic post, but to be recommending to people on this specific list
things which have no place in a paleolithic diet strikes me as, well,
wrong.  There are people daily who join this list looking for information
and ideas as to what this paleolithic eating thing is and how to do it.
 Lately the first thing they see is at least as likely to be a
recommendation that is absolutely not in keeping with paleolithic diet as
one that is.   Does this seem ok to you?  It certainly doesn't to me.  It
seems confusing and contradictory at best, and misinformative at worst.  We
are doing a disservice to the very people we are hoping will join us by
allowing this to continue.  So, yes, this has me "riled".

John Pavao

Unless I hear support, from now on, I'll share non-Paleo information in
private, and people can read it or not.  However, people on this list seem,
me, to talk about a wide variety of diets, and foods, cooked foods, etc.,
and
you've never responded like this before.  Is your belief system that
important
to you that you have to get all riled up over one or two posts?