From:
LIFE F0RCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 21:29:08 EST
Liza:
<< Again, this is not a judgement of people who use drugs and alcohol, or a
moral stand against anything. It is simply a question of health - of the body,
mind and spirit. >>

Abushdr:
<< Could you please explain what is the "spirit" as opposed to the mind and
body,
 and, >>

Liza:
This is a good question. The truth is that I really see all three as the same
thing.  But I describe it the way I did for any reader who sees them as
separate entities, or who might think, for example, that when I say "health" I
only mean physiological health.

The common understanding of these words is that 'body' means the physical
self, 'mind' means the cognitive or reasoning self, and 'spirit' means the
emotional self and the awareness or consciousness of one's own existence and
one's connection with the Divine.

But, like I say, I see them as all very much overlapping parts of each other.

Abushdr:
<< of course that is a moral judgement and you have no need to call it as it
is! >>

No, I have a moral judgement against lying, which I see as morally wrong. I
have a moral judgement against lack of loyalty. I see this as wrong. I have a
moral judgement against lack of bravery or the lack of courage to do the right
thing regardless of what harm may befall one. This I see as morally wrong. I
have a moral judgement against greed, profiting at another's expense, or using
other people to advance one's own selfish motives. These I judge as morally
wrong.

But drinking alcohol or using drugs I do not see as morally wrong. I work with
people every day of my life, who are struggling to overcome addictions such as
these. I don't judge them!! If anything, I would have to say that I am
inspired by them, constantly reminded by them how precious life is and what's
really important in our time here, I'm reminded how good people truly are, and
how determined we are to overcome the most unbelievable odds.

I certainly do not judge them, or their use of alcohol or drugs, to be morally
wrong. What I have said before in this thread, and what I say again here, is
that alcohol and drugs are not healthy substances to include in one's diet, in
my opinion, from my many years of experience, and from years of working with
many people and their diets, habits, addictions and struggles.  I would not
advise anyone to include alcohol or drugs in their health plan.

I think I've made my thoughts on this pretty clear, so please forgive me if I
don't respond again to questions on this thread - I'm a little busy lately and
don't have time to write so much. (I wouldn't mind hearing from anyone else
who thinks like me on this issue, though - I am feeling a little like I'm the
only one on this list who's against the stuff!!).

Abushdr:
<< The whole thread began with someone's husband not wanting to eliminate an
occasional beer, not with the nutrition and benefits of down and out sheltered
alcoholics, junkies or crackheads! >>

Liza:
My last reply to your comment above: Just like anything else in one's diet,
the question is  ---   is it a healthy addition or not? Like I've said before,
your body can withstand enormous abuse. So yes - you could drink one, two, a
six-pack every night and very conceivably never notice any ill effects. But if
you *know* that something is harmful, why include it? Doesn't this make sense?
Don't you see this as somehow violating your own respect for your physical
body, the ratiional intelligence of  your mind, and the profound wisdom of
your spirit and your will to live?

With that, I feel I've said my piece!!

Love, Liza

[log in to unmask] (Liza May)