From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 07:52:23 -0500
I've done this diet for a long time and taken no supplements and
experienced no ill effects.  Supplements are in general made by people who
want to make a profit, and recommended by people who have been brainwashed
into thinking they need them by the manufacturers' advertising.  Yes, there
are probably certain instances where people have deficiencies and need
something, but in general it's a load of marketing hogwash.  Ever heard of
anyone dying of not taking their supplements?  Please.  We "need"
supplements the same way we need 6 servings of grain-based foods a day.  If
you stop eating the foods that are refined and draw nutrients out of your
body in order to be accomodated, you will not need supplements.

Besides, if you follow the diet correctly, it should correct any
deficiencies, not cause them.  One suggestion I would make though is to not
overcook red meat.  It destroys some of the nutrients (not to mention that
over time I've noticed that it just tastes awful).  You don't have much
choice with chicken and pork these days, but I just cook my beef enough to
turn the outside brown.

Save your money and spent it on meat!

Take care,
John Pavao
----------
Hi folks --

recently I mentioned to a friend that I was going on the paleo diet, and
she replied:

>I hope you are taking a vitamin supplement, meat
>doesn't have much in the way of C and some of the water soluables. Plenty
>of iron, though.And you as a male homo sapien need to be careful about
>over loading your system since your hemoglobin levels are going to be
>higher than a woman your age and approximate size. If you gave a unit of
>blood every couple of months that would take care of it, remember to
>drink like a fish of what a fish drinks.

Now I really am not much of a health/nutrition buff, so I have no idea what
to think about most of the above.  Comments, anyone?  -- Thanks!