NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katherine Murray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 May 1999 23:25:25 EDT
I got this recipe from (sorry folks... hee hee) Martha Stewart Magazine.  It
contains dairy and eggs, but I wrote down what I did as a substitute.  The
fritters turned out crunchy and yummy....!  Make sure you have a dipping
sauce... even catsup will do.

Black Eyed Pea Fritters
(I typed the full recipe, but I cut mine in thirds when I made them b/c this
seems like ALOT!):

7 cups black eyed peas
1/2 cup milk ( I used WATER instead)
2 large eggs (I just sprinkled some arrowroot powder in, and didn't even add
water)
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
4 scallions, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces (I chopped FINE so kids
wouldn't see)
1 fresh hot chile pepper diced (I just put a few red pepper flakes in for
taste, not heat)
4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (I simply skipped, with no substitute)
2 tsp salt
3 cups veg. shortening (for frying)

Place 3 1/2 cups b.e. peas in a medium bowl; smash w/fork. Add remaining
whole peas and the milk (nope!), eggs (nope!), flour, parsley, scallions,
chile, cheese (nope!), baking powder, and salt.  Stir to combine.  Drop
tablespoonfuls into hot grease.  Turn until browned and drain.  (make sure
grease is hot, or they will fall apart w/o eggs)

Obviously, I omitted the dairy and the eggs for my children.  The mix was
kind of watery, but when I put it in HOT oil, they stayed together fine.
YUMMY!

Katherine
http://users.aol.com/katherinez/murray2b.htm