NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Debra Diender <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:07:36 EST
Greetings from Vermont!  I made Irish Soda Bread with Soy milk and lemon juice
using the following recipe.  This recipe is from my cookbook "The One-Meal
Cookbook; Cooking For Families With One or More Vegetarians"  that is coming
out in March/April.  You can view it on Barnesandnoble.com or Amazon.com if
you're interested.  The cookbook is not totally milk or dairy free but a lot
of the recipes give alternatives for dairy.

Irish Soda Bread
4 cups white flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 cup salted butter or margarine
1 large egg or egg substitute equivalent
1 3/4 cups buttermilk or 1 3/4 cups soy milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon
juice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Combine all the dry ingredients in a large
bowl and stir thoroughly.  Add the butter and cut it in with a pastry cutter
until crumbly.  Beat the egg slightly in a small bowl and mix in the
buttermilk.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir until blended.  Turn out the
dough onto a floured surface and knead it until smooth (about 2 to 3 minutes).
Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a round loaf.  Place in an
8-inch cake or pie pan and press down until the dough fills the pans.  Cut
crosses about 1/2 inch deep into the top of the loaves with a sharp knife.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.

Debra Diender