NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:41:08 -0500
>I have heard of false negatives on the blood test.

Do you mean false positives? Both false negatives and false positives
occur. Elimination of the allergen is a more reliable test, but is
complicated when there is allergy to more than one food or inhaled allergen.

>My husband says that
>since her nose is still running maybe it is not the milk.  It has only been
>five days since we started elimating dairy.  I am not sure if that is enough
>time.

Not yet enough time. And have you *completely* eliminated all milk
products, including cheese, yogurt, etc., and anything with lactose, whey,
nonfat milk solids, and any other milk-derived substance? It's very
challenging to eliminate it all, but it is possible. There are several
"pareve" (milk-free) breads available, as well as a few margarines, brands
of cookies, etc. There are also several tasty items available at some
supermarkets and most wholefoods and natural food stores.

Also, remember that you're not necessarily looking for the "it" that causes
the reaction. The cause is an underlying tendency to react to elements in
her diet and/or environment, and there can be more than one thing that
triggers her symptoms. The "it" that you should be looking for is a diet
and environment in which she can be as symptom-free as possible. Sometimes
this is possible, but often people find that they have to add medications
(such as antihistamines and/or steroid nasal sprays) to manage the symptoms
and the inflamation.

I expect that, in her lifetime (if not during ours) a treatment for the
over-reactive immune system will be discovered. In the meantime, keep up
with the milk elimination, and also do what you can to eliminate other
common triggers, such as dust (and dust mites), molds, animal dander (any
furry animals), pollens, etc., and to look for other potential triggers,
such as perfumes, fragrances, etc. Enclose her pillow and mattress in
high-quality, dustproof enclosures, and remove any carpeting, drapes, and
upholstered furniture from her bedroom.

Good luck

Mark Feblowitz