NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roar Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:36:44 -0400
I've found all the answers I've got on the matter of buying lactase
enzyme tablets in the USA good and very helpful. They *must* be
beneficial to other readers of the list. I've got permission from 2 of the writers
to forward their answers. So here they are. The latter asked to be anonymous.
With thanks to all contributors.
/Roar Rasmussen ([log in to unmask])
---------------------------------
From [log in to unmask]  Wed Nov  4 15:22:52 1998
I prefer capsules made by Nature's Way to any of the Lactaid tablets or
drops. I think they are a little more predictable - Lactaid has never
worked very well for me. The address of Nature's Way is
Nature's Way Product, Inc.
10 Mountain Springs Parkway
Springville, Utah 84663
The label says they contain 3450 FCC units ...250 mg
in a base of neutral maltodextrin, and that they contain no
preservatives.
You can find them at health food stores here - Nature's Heartland, for
instance, or Bread and Circus, in the Boston area. Too bad they don't
list a phone number.
Good luck!
Lisl Urban
---------------------------------
Hi,
I read your posting on the No-Milk list.
I am extremely lactose intolerant.  I use Lactaid brand pills.  They are
effective, but not 100%.  The way that they advertise them, you should
be able to eat a bowl of ice cream if you take one triple-strength
(Lactaid "Ultra") pill.  However, I would need dozens of pills to eat a
bowl of ice cream.  (But I am an extreme situation.)  I find that I can
eat a piece of cake with two or three Lactaid Ultras. Also note:
Timing is important.  Eat the pills while you are eating the food.  Take
a few bites of food - eat a pill - finish off more food eat a pill - etc. The
lactase enzyme in the pills has to mix with the lactose in the food in
your stomach before the lactose reaches your small intestine and causes
symptoms.  By the way, it doesn't hurt to "overdose" on the pills. It is
just that they are rather expensive.  The "Ultras" come to about 25
cents a pill.  That means that for me, i might spend as much money on
the pills as on the food that i am eating them with!  Not very
economical.
Lactaid sells its pills in three strengths (regular - 3000 enzyme units,
extra strength 6000 units, and "Ultra" - 9000 units).  I like the Ultras
because each individual pill is separately wrapped.  This is good for
putting them in your pocket.  The others come in a bottle. I have never
tried Dairy Ease, but I have tried other less-known brands and found
that they did not work or I had to take much, much, more for them to
be effective. Lactaid is universally available in large drug stores in my
area (New York City).  You find it on the shelf around where you find
non-prescription medicine for diarrhea and indigestion.
Good luck.