NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:59:45 -0600
OK, I'm confused. My son is anaphylactic to dairy & eggs, allergic to many others, not allowed to try
peanut. I recently decided that restricting chocolate from him is not ultimately necessary, and I'd
like to be able to make some chocolate-ridden dairy-free sweets occasionally (OK, I'm a chocoholic).

If you look on the cocoa box, the ingredients say "100% cocoa".

If you buy unsweetened chocolate bars for baking (watch out, some have peanut listed in the
ingredients!), it says "100% chocolate".

What's the difference? Do either contain dairy? How do they make cocoa and chocolate? I always
thought that cocoa as derived from the plant itself. Is unsweetened chocolate just a different
form of cocoa, or is it a different product altogether? What is safe and what is not? AAUUGGGHHH!

Thanks in advance for educating me once more.

Theresa Ray
Mom of Kyle (2 - dairy, eggs, berries, nuts, fish/shellfish, bay leaves, penicillin, MSG?)
and BabyRay due in June