NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:48:17 -0400
>I just bought a KC Masterpiece (Hickory Flavored) BBQ sauce.  It is now marked
>with the OU (in really small print).  It should therefore be dairy free.

No guarantee that it is dairy free. O-U only means that it is Kosher, not
that it is dairy-free. To be certain, it should be marked O-U Pareve.
However, there is some ambiguity in the O-U labeling; it may be pareve and
not marked as such, if it is assumed to be obvious that it is pareve (!?).
Since barbeque sauce is intended for use mostly on meats, it is likely to
be in that category. Still, a call to the manufacturer would verify this.

Mark
Mark Feblowitz                  GTE Laboratories Incorporated
[log in to unmask]              40 Sylvan Road, Waltham, MA 02154-1120