NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:48:25 -0800
On Fri, 20 Mar 1998 17:35:31 +0000 Margo Mead <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>This is the first time I have noticed this almost immediate correlation.
>So my question is, how long does it take for the foods you eat to become
>part of breast milk? It seems to have been a matter of maybe 5 or 6
hours,
>or maybe even less.

I have a 1yo who is milk allergic and am sitll nursing her.  We have to
pretty much stay completely milk free although now that I'm weaning her
and there is much longer between nursing, I can "sneak" some things like
cheese at lunch without any really severe reaction.  When I was nursing
her often - every 3-4 hours - I'd notice an immediate reaction with her
eczema.  This was usually within 30 minutes of nursing.  She also spit
up/vomitted a lot, but the amound and severity varied with the time of,
presumably on how empty her stomach was when the allergen hit it.  If
I'de eaten something the night before and it hit her empty stomach, she
might vomit the feeding on me in the middle (and come right back for
more).  She was also a very fussy baby so it was hard to tell that way
although I can more now through experience.  It would only take about an
hour to get into the breastmilk for me.  Pretty much the next feeding was
noticable.  It would take several nursings to clear my system and hers.
Sometimes up to 2 days before the spitting was back to normal.

One other thing I've noticed is that she gets a much shorter reaction if
she ingests thing first hand.  The reaction is pretty immediate, but it
last a much shorter time - usually on the order of hours if it's an
isolated incident.  I don't know if this is a maturity thing or a
difference from the exposure do to the breastmilk.  Maybe it just takes
longer for things to clear both of our systems.  She is very sensitive.

Kathy

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]