NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jessica Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 10:45:29 -0700
> I realize that I am way to late to be of help for you now but I would
> like to suggest that you get to know your pharmasist!!!! I live in a
> small town in Ontario Canada and I cant tell you how many times my
> pharmasist has saved me. My son is extremely anaphylactic to milk
> protein (even the smell triggers him), and several times now my family
> doctor, despite my numerous questions has prescribed a medicine with a
> milk derived filler. Because I go to a very small drug store I do pay
> more for my prescriptions but the quality of service I get cannot be
> measured in dollars. My pharmasist and I are on a first name basis and
> he knows Zack and every one of his 28 (so far) diagnosed allergies! If
> it is possible I suggest everyone find someone like this man! Go to the
> small drug stores and not the drug "supermarkets" where you can barely
> find anyone, let alone someone who has your medical history memorized!
> Best of luck to you

Rita,
I can't agree with you more.  All of my relatives that live here go to my
pharmacist as well, so he knows a lot about my family history.  The best
thing he ever did for us was when my pedi prescibed a laxative type
medication for Chris to help his constipation.  We gave it to him in a
teaspoon, and then he just started coughing uncontrollably!  His face
turned red and he said his tongue hurt.  He couldn't even talk for the
first few minutes.  I panicked.  I called my pharmacist and asked him to
double check the prescription, which he did.  Then he assured me it was
right, and safe...but wanted me to bring the medicine back to me to
examine.

We brought it in, and by this time Chris was doing fine...he said it burned
his tongue.  Well, my husband and I didn't even think of tasting it, but
that is exactly what my pharmacist did.  While Chris was standing with us
at the counter, he took a big teaspoon full.  HIS face turned red, and he
coughed a little.  He made funny faces while Chris laughed, then he assured
us that he would be labeling this medication as "bad tasting" from now on
for all of his customers.  It was hysterical.  We joked around about how he
would be very "regular" that evening and asked him to aplogize to his wife
for us. :)

Now that is devotion!

Jessica