NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 13:12:09 -0500
>New Years Day, I suddenly became quite ill.  Since I am allergic to any
>type of milk protein, we reviewed the food eaten the day before.  (mine is
>a delayed reaction, eight or more hours).
>
>The main suspects are some black licorice candy, and two slices of "dark"
>bread.  Both contained Caramel, and\or Caramel coloring.  I read on the
>internet that caramel may contain milk sugar as a component.
>
>Has any one had a similar experience?

Yes - caramel coloring can be (but is not always) derived from milk. If the
item in question was not kosher pareve, then there's usually no way to
determine from the packaging that it was derived from some other source -
you'd have to contact the manufacturer.

I sometimes have trouble drinking sodas that have caramel coloring in them,
particularly because I am allergic to milk. I try to stick with non-colored
sodas.

Mark Feblowitz