NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kevin Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:21:04 +0000
Lori,

If he is taking a multivitamin with 100% of the RDA for vitamin D (it
will be shown as 100% of the DV on the label), then taking a calcium
supplement with extra vitamin D probably isn't necessary.  He will
most likely get vitamin D from other foods as well.

I know what you mean by exposing people to the sun for vitamin D.  It
goes against our thinking since too much sun exposure is not a good
thing.  However, 20-30 minutes of sunlight is not too much.  In the
northern climates, many people (i.e. the elderly) don't go outside
very much in the winter and they are often lacking in vitamin D.  No,
they don't have to be taken together.  Vitamin D is a fat soluble
vitamin, meaning that it is stored in the fat cells of the body.

Kevin Kelly, Licensed Registered Dietitian