NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:55:44 -0700
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997 18:03:48 -0400 Heidi  Loncosky <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I'd love to feed my son something chocolate, but evertime I do, his
behavior
>changes. I try to stay away from anything the chocolate, chocolate
flavored,
>etc.  Ever once in awhile I let him try something and we always get the
same
>result. I'm baffled as to what is causing this reaction.  Doe anyone
have an
>idea.

There are several possibilities that could be going.  Chocolate contains
a chemical that is closely related to caffeine.  This can effect children
as well as adults.  He could have a food allergy to chocolate.  Allergies
can cause behavioral changes.  He could have a sensitiviy to chocolate
that is not a true allergy.  For instance, many people get migraines
triggered by chocolate.  This is not considered an allergy, but rather a
sensitivity.  Children often get sensitivity reactions that effect their
behavior.

I'm sure there are more possibilities, but those are the ones I know of.
I know you probably would like to know what the mechanism is, but I think
the more important part is that he has a negative reaction to chocolate.
You probably want to give him chocolate because you find it a comfort
food :-)  You could try carob which has a similar flavor but different
composition.

Kathy