NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Crankshaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:23:50 -0700
     MY question was-- does eating these foods WHILE PREGNANT not just
     while nursing, have any effect on the baby's developing system?  Do
     the proteins and any possible immune reaction I am having to them pass
     through the placenta?

There really is no clear evidence in the medical literture.  My own experience
is that my son (6 years) has anaphylaxis to dairy.  I ate dairy during my
pregnancy and during nursing for 10 months (my diet seem to have to effect on
him, it was only when he ingested milk based food directly).  My daughter is 3
years, I went off all dairy, soy, and nuts during the last trimester and for 11
months of nursing.  She has some intolerace to soy as an infant but other than
that no allergies at all.  Proteins can cross the placenta as well as into the
mamary glands.

Kathy