CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edwin Kammerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 01:13:45 -0700
A word is the smallest unit of thought.

Yeah, "sound" has something to do with it.  There are not actually acoustic
waves
when we think a word (thought), but we "hear" it.  Who I really am liking
reading
is Julian Jaynes'  The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral
Mind, (1974), who has something to say there on the subject.  (I don't know what
Jaynes' ideas' standing is, maybe he's widely discredited.  I know I like it
and it
sounds sound to me.)  Anyway, my understanding of the "sound" effect in our
mental interior is that a thought's electrical signal courses through our
regular
speech-processing circuits.  Which would have the subjective sense of
"hearing" the
thought.

EK