NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Explorer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:42:38 +0000
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:17:14 -0500  Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]> asked if it
is possible to be allergic to or have a food intolerance to spices and
brown sugar?

Don,

Yes it is.  I avoid both.  For one, brown sugar is a highly processed
product and can contain multiple other addtives.    The Derby City Celiac
newsletter Summer 1997 issue said that  Kroger brand DARK brown sugar
contains wheat.  I do not know what other brands might have in them, but I
wouldn't be surprised if some of them contained powdered milk or if the
other ingredients used to dye the sugar brown contain additives of some
kind, such as the molasses.  I avoid brown sugar because it is a refined
carbohydrate and I am a hypoglycemic.  But the fact is, it is a fake food
(kids like it--kids also eat dirt) and I don't think it should be injested.

Cinnamon is dried inner bark of branches on a tropical  evergreen laural
tree.   It is used in pickling, flavoring food and drink, potpourris, etc.
It is  supposed to be a cure for diarrhea, which means it has a constipating
or germicidal effect, but it's main attribute is to be used as a spice and
there are not many health benefits attributed to it.

I am intolerant to cinnamon ever since I aquired parasites, but I never was
before that.  Cinnamon was like putting salt on an open wound and would
always cause GI distress.  Seems to be mucous forming to me.   It  tends to
be very irritating to the GI tract.  It also bothers my gallbladder and I
get bile back ups and have severe fatigue and gas problems until I can get
it out of my system.   I think cinnamon must do something to kill off
intestinal bacteria, aggravate parasites, viral or bacteria infections,  as
well as being an irritant.  I do not know why, but I also think there is
some essential ingredient in cinnamon itself that causes some people to have
allergic reactions to it.   In recipes, I always substitute Nutmeg or just
avoid it.   Also, who knows if it has been contaminated with something in
the processing--maybe some vendors try to dilute to increase their profits?
 Nutmeg doesn't bother me but I also react to cloves.

Cloves, which are dried flower buds, are said to be a powerful germicidal
agent which increass circulation and promotes digestion and nutrition and
they contain Vitamin C, A and B complex and many minerals.  They are said to
have many health benefits and are supposed to be good at getting rid of gas,
indigestion, nausea, dizziness, colitis mucus, toothache, earache and they
are a sexual stimulant.  In my case, instead of getting rid of indigestion,
they cause it because they act as an irritant.

It is difficult to know exactly why we react to certain things, but if I
cannot tolerate something like cinnamon, I just leave it alone.

Explorer