NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:06:05 -0500
Lynda Mitchell wrote:
>How would an enzyme such as lactase possibly be of any help
to someone with a true milk (i.e., protein) allergy?  The milk
allergic person is reacting to proteins not to the sugar.<

Pharmaceutical grade lactose should approach 100% purity.

Synthetic lactose would ineed be better for the purpose, but I
have not heard of anyone making it. Natural lactose is
extremely cheap, and is used for that reason.

If anyone on the list knows about synthetic lactose, please
email me [log in to unmask] I will also try to
research the subject.

And if anyone can give me a medical journal reference to a
documented case of a milk allergic reaction to lactose in a
pill, let me know about that as well.

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance
Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper