NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:04:33 -0700
After all this talk about cupcakes, I went through my recipes today to
see if I could find anything my daughter might eat.  She allergic to
chocolate and we are avoiding eggs, so that makes it more difficult to
find things.  Here is one that I grew up on - my mom always made these
for bake sales and Sunday breakfast.  It's a version of a shoo-fly pie,
but not a wet bottom one.  It can also be made as cupcakes.  They freeze
really well.  Since it has a crumb topping there is no dealing with a
frosting.  It makes them eay to wrap and transport.

Kathy P.

Molasses Cake

3 c flour
1/2 c sugar
6 tbsp shortening
pinch salt
1 c light molasses
1 tsp baking soda
1 c hot water

Combine flour, sugar, and salt.  Mix well.  Cut in shortening with dough
blender, two knives or a fork (like you were making pastry).  Reserve on
generous handful of this for crumbs and set aside.  In large bowl,
combine molasses and baking soda.  Mix well until light and slightly
foamy.  Add hot water to molasses mixture.  This will foam up.  Mix well.
 Combine with dry mixture.  This will be lumpy.  Pour into 2 - 8 or 9
inch unbaked pastry shells or 24 cupcake tins lined with papers.  Prinkle
with reserved crumb mixture.  Bake at 350F for 25 - 30 minutes for pies
or 12-15 minutes for cupcakes.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]