NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:58:57 -0500
> I had a mom ask me to help with this question. Does anyone have any comments?
>
> >Also--- My son drinks only alimentum formula and I have run into  problems
> >with "price fixing" the formula companies are really taking advantage of those
> >who have no choice....
> >I have tried to get information on wholesale pricing etc... any others in this
> >boat.

Hi Helen,

  Tell this lady to speak with her doctor or allergist. Zack was put on
Nutramigen for a year at $26.00/tin. After spending over $3000.00 on the
formula we just simply couldn't afford it anymore.  Medically necessary
infant formulas used to be covered by health benefits but in 1994 that
was changed and they were no longer covered (this didnt really affect us
since we own our own business and dont have prescription health benefits
anyway).

  I made an appt. with my allergist and spoke to here very frankly about
our inability to pay for this anymore. I explained to her that we had
maxed out all our credit cards and were even considering getting a bank
loan since Zack was over a year old and drank soooo much of the stuff.
She told us not to worry, the provincial government had a policy in
combination with the hospital that subsidizes people who cannot afford
medically necessary formulas. I didnt even need to provide ANY financial
information, the gov. just looked at my income tax from the previous
year and saw that my income did not exceed the $65000.00 ceiling (ya I
wish!!!).  From then on I just called a 1-800. number and ordered 3
cases at a time and picked them up 3days later from the loading dock of
the hospital!!!

  Anyway my point is, I am not sure if similar programs are available in
the US but if I hadnt asked I never would have known! Best thing to do
is ask....and ask everyone! Your local government official, your
hospital, your doctor...etc etc.  This situation can put you in the
proverbial poorhouse if you are not careful. Its worth a shot!

Good Luck
Rita