From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 20:49:56 -0500
I don't know if the vibration is severe enough to cause this problem.  It
sounds much more likely that you are just plain unlucky.  However, your
statement about the cyberdrive CD is interesting.  I think this is the
second message that has something about the Cyberdrive vibration, and I know
that 3 months ago, I upgraded a system with a Cyberdrive 24x that vibrated
like crazy with some CDs.  It has worried me since that I would be getting
that machine back for rebuild, but it seems to read alright, and has not
experienced a failure other than noise and vibration.  However, based upon
other messages like this, I don't think I will use the Cyberdrive again.

Back to your problem.  Is the CD connected to the same data cable as the
HDD?  I don't know if this is possible, but perhaps there is a conflict
somehow with the controller.  You might try connecting the CD-Rom to the
secondary controller and see if that corrects the problem.  I cannot see how
the other items you mentioned could cause this problem (but all things are
possible in the computer world).

In addition, more detail on the error message you receive at boot up might
be helpful.  Is there an error message number?  At what point does the error
occur?  Does it occur if you boot from a floppy disk?  What if you bypass
your autoexec and config files at bootup, does it still occur.  Use the step
through method of bootup and determine which line of the autoexec or config
file is being executed at the time of the error, that might help to locate
the problem.

Mike Buraczewski