From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 15:56:38 -0400

        That makes sense for older drives that relied on mechanical mechanisms to
position the heads, such as stepper motors. However the newer drives use a
technology resembling a voice coil technology, the head is positioned in a
closed system, also called self sensing. The older drives were an open
system, you moved the motor a certain amount of steps and hoped you were in
the middle of the track. TTYL