From:
Frank B Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 12:34:27 -0700
-

On 13 Apr 98 at 18:40, Frank B Smith wrote:

> I am having a problem installing an S3 Virge DX card.  The mobo is TXPRO
> w/Cyrix PR200 mx,  32megs ram.  The video adapter is recognized by Win95,
as
> plug  n play and the driver disk is accessed.  Drivers are installed.
> However the system reports a conflict.  Windows stays in generic VGA mode.
>
> I have removed the adapter from the device manager, removed the card and
> moved it to a new PCI slot (three times) and re-installed.
>
> Does anyone know of any problem that I may be overlooking, other than bad
> hardware?

  Is there any chance you have a COM4 port in this machine?  Many S3
chips include emulation of the IBM 8514/A adapter, and this conflicts
with the "industry standard" COM4 address range.  [IBM had chosen,
but not publicized, a different set of addresses for COM3-COM8 at the
time they designed the 8514/A.]

David G

Win 95 does put the modem on Com 4... would that possibly be the conflict?
and if so, what do I do to fix it?

Frank B Smith