From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:03:16 -0600
Jason Parker wrote:

>>My machine is a PII 300; Abit LX6 motherboard; 64mb SDRAM; 8.4GB Maxtor;
STB
>Velocity 128 AGP Graphics card.
>
>My problem is that when I try to use games e.g Quake 2, G Police, the
screen
>locks up and the machine has to be reset completely.
>
>I was using Win95 OSR2, but have upgraded to Win98 still the problem
exists.
>I have replaced the card, updated all the drivers, the bios, and there are
>no conflicts showing under the system properties. This problem also occured
>whilst using IE 3.02.
>
>It allows me to start using the software but then locks up after 10 seconds
>or so. Everyother piece of software is fine.

Which drivers are you using for the STB video card?  Nvidia has Open GL beta
drivers that are supposed to work well with Win 98.  The STB drivers and the
drivers that come with the Win 98 upgrade don't work very well.  The drivers
can be found at the following locations:

http://dimension128.smartcom.net/ (Snake owns this site, excellent RIVA
info)
http://nvidia.dimension3d.com/
http://pages.prodigy.net/babblin5/Main.html
http://www.rivazone.com/ (been down lately but if it comes up its one of the
best)

There is also a #Dfx patch for quake II, it can be found at :
http://www.3dfx.com/software/patch_quake2.html   This might fix your problem
to, at least for Quake II.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden