From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 11:53:14 -0700
>The first time I read about a low-carbohydrate eating plan, I immediately
>thought of my aunt.  She is 34 and has MS

I have been trying to share url's, references, and other non-intrusive bits
of lo-carb info with a woman with moderately sever MS. All it has gotten me
is an uncomfortqble feeling that my information resources are not welcome.

So I don't give them anymore. It is her life, and she is grown up. Reasons
for rejecting this information could be all over the lot. From not liking
the way I present it, or thinking that I am just a kook, faddist, or
whatever, to being very authoritarian in personality structure, and feeling
that her doctor must know all the "respectable" information there is to know
about her condition. Other possibilities are that there are subtle
relationship issues involving the person one hopes  to give the information
to, and other important people in her life.

My diabetic father refused any input from me, whether about low carb,
vitamins or anything else. I  knew a man who was quite obviously dying from
some unknown neural disease, leading to progressive weakness and loss of
function throughout his entire body. HIs University doctors really had
nothing for him, no real hope. Never-the-less, he was not interested in any
"oddball " dietary or alternative medical ideas. He died, completely
paralyzed. I don't want to suggest that low- carb or anything else would
necessarily helped, but I really couldn't see what he had to lose.  Maybe
the comfortable feeling thet he remained orthodox, not weird or hippy or new
age or anything uncomfortable.

Also, when an illness gets quite far down the road, there can be a drive for
closure, on the part of the patient and his or her caretakers.

You are younger than me, so you may be able to go right ahead making
suggestion. For me, I look for some sign of interst before going on.

Ciao - Michael