NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:01:53 +1100
At 09:11 PM 7/26/98 -0500, you wrote:
>P & M Clark wrote:
>>
>> Hi Everyone!  Wondering for those of you with Dairy Allergy (IGE
>> Medicated)- anaphylatic have been told about the safety of taking
>> medication with lactose being an ingredient.  Allergist said it is sugar
not a protein and should be safe.

>Hi,
> My allergist said the same thing and also said that lactose can also be
>made synthetically in a lab and not to worry about that ingred.
>Hope they are right- but as yet we have not had a problem.
>
>Shirley Sippel

Hi,
Sorry Shirley, in theory it can be synthesised but in practice dairies are
just about giving the stuff away. Its basically a waste product which in
days gone by was flushed down the drains. Lactose would only be found
purified from whey. So there is always some risk depending on its purity.