NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Helen Fernety <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:16:22 -0500
>Does it ever get any easier? Does one every get used to it, so incidences
>such as this aren't so upsetting?

Jill,

You may try one of the Mimic "I'm allergic to Milk" sweatshirts has a
visual reminder or maybe sew one of the funky patches on a baseball cap.
These items have worked for me when my kids were younger. It reminded my
friends and preschool teachers without me having to. They have commented to
me that it has help remind them. Both the sweatshirt and the 2 patches (I'm
allergic to milk and Food Allergy Alert) are fun and colorful. I couldn't
get the shirt off my son for a couple of weeks when we first got it. To see
the patches online go to http://non-dairy.org/mimic.html. Then you can
order the patches by calling 1-800-450-3301. You have to ask about the
sweatshirts they are a special order item now. But I think they still have
them in stock.

Oh, you also may try a medical alert bracelet when you daughter is old
enough. I think they basically recommend them starting at age 4. Teachers I
think are especially tuned into these. It also seems to lead a legitimacy
to the allergy. We forget, but not evenly one believes in food allergies:-(.

Hang in there,

Helen