NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lori Redman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 20:02:02 -0500
Nancy Hull wrote:

> > So, exactly how many of you with children who have milk allergies had
> > problems with weight gain?
>
> I am also concerned about weight gain.  My daughter is 21 months and weighs
> about 20 lbs.  She has eczema and is allergic to milk, soy, eggs,etc.  An
> allergist prescribed Neocate formula but she will not drink it (taste?).  She
> drinks rice milk (Rice Silk) and we give her orange juice with calcium.  She
> seems to eat well with a balance of protein/vegetables/starch (rice and
> potatoes) but just has not gained weight.  I have an appointment with her
> Ped. on Tuesday to discuss this.
>
> I have thought about going to nutritionist.  Have others on this list found
> it beneficial to get the advice of a nutritionist?

HI all, I just went to see a nutritionist last week to make sure my kids were
getting the proper nutrients like calcium. I ended up telling her more than she
was able to tell me! I asked her about the diff between cal citrate and carbonate
and she said "oh, I should know this" Ok... My advice is to make sure the
"expert" is very familiar with food allergies because that will help alot. A
regular nutritionist may not have enough info for you.

This newsgroup has been a tidal wave of info which is why I was a little more
informed than she was! Thanks to all of our "experts"!

My friend's son is milk allergic (hives on skin if in contact) and at the age of
four he is now putting on weight. He reminded me of a little bird, he was so
light. He breastfed until two and it seems that his weight gain is due to the
calcium supps he began at three and a half. He is now active and putting on
muscle mass too.

Lori