VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
dan dunfee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 07:12:53 -0500
hello,

in this tip we will look at how the lynx.cfg and lynxrc files are laid
out and how they are different.   then, we will go into lynx.cfg and
make a change to see first hand how that file can personalize the way
lynx works for you.  for the latter, there will be a step by step
guide at the end.  i will be away from the keyboard a couple of days
until the next tip.

there are at least four ways lynx can be modified. 1. by adding things
to the lynx startup command.   the most familiar is probably:

lynx -show_cursor

a complete list of these additional startup items can be found by the
command:

lynx -help

the only one i suggest using is:

lynx -cfg lynx.cfg

because these start up command changes can be put in configuration
files, it is easier to use them there instead of typing long start up
commands to get the features you want.

2. using the "o" key command while in lynx can change it's behavior.

3. change the lynxrc file.   the changes from using the "o" command
above are stored in the lynxrc file.  you have been using a lynxrc
file all along but didn't know it. in unix, putting a period at the
beginning of a file name makes it invisible when saved or copied.   so
when you use the "o" key in lynx, it is saved in a file you don't
normally see and you didn't already know you had.   the lynxrc file
modified for screen readers has some features thought to be useful.
just as with those put in the lynx.cfg file we discussed last time,
they may or may not suit your fancy.   use a text reading or text
editor program to survey the changes in the copy you downloaded to
your computer, to see what the screen reader version has.  use a
search feature in your reading or editing program and look for "blind"
for those items they have high lighted as being important, at least in
their opinion.  the same search in lynx.cfg will also turn up such
items there. then if you want to change them, do so directly in the
lynxrc file or accomplish the same thing using the "o" command while
in lynx.

4. we can change the commands in lynx.cfg as we have already discussed
and as we will do below.

all of the methods overlap to a degree. by either modifying the
lynx.cfg or lynxrc files, we can get at all of the features we want to
change.

in these two files, there is a common format.   there will be a first
line containing the topic for a section such as "show cursor" followed
by an explanation of the possible variations and the effect each
choice will have in lynx's operation.   following the explanation
section, the actual command will be on a line by itself.  so, 90
percent of the file is taken up with explanation.  in the files, the
symbol "#" at the start of a line causes lynx to ignore it at start
time.   all of the explanation lines have it and some of the command
lines.   so, for some commands, removing that symbol activates the
feature it controls.   again, use the sample files you downloaded for
reference, on your computer, and skim through the files to see how
this format actually appears.   there is some are chain computerese
here and there, you don't have to worry about it.   when i recommend a
change to try, i will identify the line of the command and say what
the change is and what it will do.   for the more experienced or
adventuress, look through the files and try things on your own.  as
illustrated below, making the change on the copy in your internet
shell account directory is the one that counts.

enough preliminary chatter, let's go inside the lynx.cfg file and make
a change.   remember, i suggest using the pico text editor because you
have already encountered it in pine as the email editor for creating
messages.

when you have been looking at many web pages, you may notice that
there may be a significant delay if you go back to revisit one of
them. lynx keeps so many pages in memory for this purpose and can go
to it with no delay. that number is now 10.   we are going to increase
that number so there will be far less delays for revisiting pages.
when the internet is slow, the delay as lynx calls up the original web
address to be able to show that page, the wait can be quite
frustrating.   if lynx keeps enough of them,  the move back to an
earlier page is instantaneous because it is in memory and doesn't have
to be reloaded from some distant web site.  the full command line as
it appears in lynx.cfg is:

#DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE:10

please note the "#" symbol as the first character.   here is an
example where we will both remove the "#" symbol to activate the
command and change a number to change how lynx acts.  don't worry
about causing trouble on the internet account you use.  if the number
is too large, the unix computer will use up to the maximum it is set
for and ignore the remainder.   so here are the steps to make the
change to 100 pages:

1. to bring lynx.cfg up in pico for changes,give the command:

pico lynx.cfg

2. we will need to find the line of the command to change.   use the
"where is" search feature by holding down the control key and hitting
the "w" key.   a prompt for the search item appears at line 22 where
you can type it in and hit enter to initiate it.  the item we are
going to change can be found searching for:

#DEFAULT

3. now your cursor should be on the "#" symbol as the first character
of the line.

4. use the right arrow key to go one character to the right.

5. hit the backspace key to erase the "#" symbol to activate the
command.  we do a backspace because it is quite likely the unix
computer doesn't recognize the "delete" key on our keyboards.

6.  now hold the control key and hit "e" to move the cursor to the end
of the line.

7.  type a number zero.   now the number of pages is 100 instead of 10
as before.

8. now it is time to save the change and leave pico.  hold the control
key and hit "x".  a prompt on line 22 will ask if you want to save the
change, hit "y".   it will then prompt for the name of the file to be
saved.   the original name lynx.cfg is already there, so hit "enter"
to save.

that's it.   the next time you are surfing the web through many pages,
you will notice that lynx goes to an earlier page instantly.   if you
exceed 100 pages, it cuts the first page visited from memory.  to use
the change, start lynx by using the command:

lynx -cfg lynx.cfg.

remember, you don't need to use the "show cursor" addition at start up
because it has already been activated in this version of lynx.cfg.

regards,

dan