VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 08:46:27 -0800
Hi All,

Recent discussions have seen a lot of attention focussed on Microsoft's
public commitment to accessibility and exactly where it begins and ends.  I
would like to point out an example of why I think accessibility needs to be
represented at the absolute top levels of the company.

A bit ago Microsoft purchased the web-based free email service Hotmail
which can be found at

http://www.hotmail.com

By all accounts Hotmail is one of the leaders in this type of service.  I'm
sure that plus the 5.5 million subscribers the service brought to the table
played a key role in Microsoft's decision to purchase the company.
According to press reports and information on the Hotmail site, Hotmail
will operate as an independent subsidiary of Microsoft but it is definitely
part of the Microsoft corporation.

What I wonder about is where did the site's lack of accessible web design
come into the corporate decision making that said it was a good purchase?
I'm sure legal, marketing and other departments had their opinions
represented in the decision to buy Hotmail.  I wonder if accessibility was
even mentioned.  Did Microsoft think it was a good idea to purchase a web
service that doesn't practice accessible web design or did the issue not
even enter into the corporate decision making process?

Below is a screen capture of what the Hotmail Compose Mail screen sounds
like when browsed with Lynx and Internet Explorer.  In the Lynx version you
will notice several places where the phrase "[image-submit]" appears.
These are links to buttons on the page for doing things like spell
checking, bringing up a dictionary and such.  Lynx, unlike Internet
Explorer, inserts a default phrase when the web designer has failed to
properly tag graphical images.  This is a step in the right direction
because at least the person browsing without the ability to see images has
a clue that something exists.  You still have to select these untagged
links and go on a bit of a mystery browse to find out where they lead
though.  You will also notice several numbers in brackets.  Lynx, again
unlike Internet Explorer, has an option to number each link making direct
selection much easier.

In the Internet Explorer version of the page you will see the phrase
"picture" on occasion.  The interesting thing is that Internet Explorer
does not insert this word until you actually save or copy the text of a web
page.  I wonder why it isn't displayed when a person is actually visiting
the web page within Internet Explorer?  The only way a person browsing
without the ability to see images knows of the controls for spell checking
and alike is by tabbing through the entire page and hearing, "shortcut to
submit form" where these links exist.

My point here isn't to compare and contrast Lynx and Internet Explorer.
Rather I am wondering where accessibility fits into Microsoft's corporate
structure.  I will say that something as simple as the ability to number
links makes a world of difference in effective navigation of a web page
though.

This isn't merely an academic discussion on my part.  I know of several
colleges and universities who are having students use services like Hotmail
for student access to email and requiring students to use the service.
Obviously if the service isn't accessible other accommodations can be made
but with a little effort Hotmail would actually be fairly accessible.

Kelly

Begin screen capture of Hotmail Compose Mail screen with Lynx

   Compose Mail
   RELATED: [1]Addresses | [2]Email Lookup
   [3]Hotmail Member Directory

   [4][Click our Sponsor's banner, with Easy Return to Hotmail.]
   [5]Click here for more information.
   [6][IMAGE]-Submit [7][IMAGE]-Submit [8][IMAGE]-Submit
   [9][IMAGE]-Submit
   [11][IMAGE]-Submit
   [12][IMAGE]-Submit
   [13][IMAGE]-Submit