VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:12:43 +1100
Greetings!

No, scanning letters, magazines, books etc is not an impossible dream.
I've just set up An Open Book Unbound for an elderly gentleman to do just
that.

Contact arkenstone for more information.

I myself use a program called Omnipage to do my scaning work but it may not
be what you want because it requires allot of operator assistance but it is
still very good.  An Open Book Unbound is designed to be very user-friendly
and the product does an excellent job at scanning both documents and faxes.

I hope that I've been of some assistance.

At 12:16 31/01/98 GMT, you wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>I am thinking about buying a scanner and would be grateful for
>any help. What I basically want to do is to get any
>book/magazine/newspaper/letter and read it. Is this an
>impossible dream? How close to this dream can you get?
>
>Firstly, how much would I have to pay for a special reading
>machine like a Domino or Rainbow? I know I can get a normal
>OCR scanner for about stlg100 to stlg130 UK.
>
>What sort of things should I be looking for in a scanner? Is
>there any disadvantages with nt spending stlg200 upwards? Are
>there any particularly good ut cheep scanners around?
>
>When it comes to software, what sort of software is easy to
>use?
>
>I would be very grateful if someone could contact me via the
>list or privately at:
>
>Regards, Saqib Shaikh

Dane Trethowan
MALVERN VI  Australia