VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Matzura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 12:58:07 -0500
On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, woods.. wrote:

> FYI, connie woods, greater pittsburgh chapter nfb of pa
>

> What good is having someone who can walk on water
> if you don't follow in his footsteps?

> Subject: Letter To Bill Gates From National Federation of the Blind (Forward From [log in to unmask])
>

> The following letter was sent on November 14, 1997, to Bill Gates
> by the National Federation of the Blind.
> Regards,
> Curtis Chong
> November 14, 1997
> Sent by facsimile and United States mail
> Mr. William H. Gates III
> Microsoft Corporation
> One Microsoft Way
> Redmond, Washington 98052
> Dear Mr. Gates:
> A number of individuals and organizations have written to you and
> other officials at Microsoft concerning Internet Explorer 4.0 and
> its lack of accessibility to persons who are blind.  Furthermore,
> you (or others at Microsoft) may have received some specific
> recommendations from an ad hoc group of organizations in the
> blindness field in furtherance of the goal of full accessibility to
> Microsoft software by the blind.
> The National Federation of the Blind, the nation's largest
> organization of the blind, has always believed in communicating
> directly with the companies and individuals whom we wish to
> influence.  Although we may agree in principle with statements made
> by other organizations and individuals within the blindness field,
> it is our belief that the Federation should present its own message
> and recommendations to you in particular and to Microsoft in
> general.  By the same token, we expect to receive the same courtesy
> from large corporations such as Microsoft, which should be aware of
> how things are in the blindness field today.
> Having said all of that, here are our recommendations:
> 1.   Microsoft must assign responsibility for product accessibility
>      to a top management official so that accessibility concerns
>      are given a high priority during the product development
>      phase.
>      Microsoft currently makes much of its corporate policy on
>      accessibility.  Yet, there are no clearly defined lines of
>      responsibility nor are there any specific outcome requirements
>      that must be met pursuant to that policy.  Moreover, it is
>      clear from discussions with various Microsoft developers that
>      various product groups are free to do as they wish with
>      respect to accessibility, with no strong leadership from the
>      top.
> 2.   By December, 1997, Microsoft should deliver a version of
>      Internet Explorer which either meets or exceeds the
>      accessibility (from the viewpoint of the blind computer user)
>      of Internet Explorer Version 3.02.  This release should
>      include full implementation of Microsoft Active Accessibility
>      (MSAA) and keyboard access to all Internet Explorer features
>      and functions.
> [...]

I would not say someone as pigheaded and narrow-minded as Mr. Gates walks
on water, and if I had a choice between making his kind of money and
making a better computer system than the one behind which he stands, I'd
still opt for Number 2.  Just remember, good people don't often win and
winners aren't very often good.