VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Senk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 19:56:14 -0400
This is an update on assistive technology at the Carnegie Library of
Pittsburgh and the Electronic Information Network.

 forwarded from [log in to unmask]

         CLP/EIN ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY ADVOCACY COMMITTEE

                 STATUS REPORT -- JULY 11, 1997

   The CLP/EIN Assistive Technology Advisory Committee met on June
10, 1997.  We held a brief business meeting followed by Eric
Damery's presentation of Jaws software for use in the Windows 95-
Windows NT environment.

   In terms of our current initiatives, we are working to have the
reading machine installed at the Library Center.  The EIN staff
needs to install the reading machine's DEC Talk unit.  Then they
can deploy the assembled reading machine system to the Library
Center, and staff there can be trained on its use.  Two CCTVs are
already available for public use at the Library Center.

   We have made some progress in the installation of PW WebSpeak.
Through grant funds to the Library Center we have purchased a 10-
user license to the new version of PW WebSpeak.  The new version
(1.4) is now installed in the Humanities Department at the Main
Library.  We are in the process of updating the braille guides to
incorporate the changes in the new version of PW WebSpeak.

   In addition, through this grant the Library Center has been
provided three personal computers for use with access technology.
One will be used to run PW WebSpeak.  The other two will be used
with speech-output software.  The Library Center purchased two
licenses for Jaws for Windows NT.  The software is scheduled to be
shipped in August.

   The Library Center's three personal computers have been shipped
and are in the process of being installed.  One has a large screen
monitor, which the Library Center has not yet received.  Within the
next month we hope to have the reading machine and the personal
computer with PW WebSpeak installed available at the Library
Center.  We are awaiting funding approval to purchase personal
computers for the LBPH and South Side Branch PW WebSpeak sites.

   So far we have not finalized the use of the Screen Power
software on the reading machines for speech access with lynx.  Our
intent is to use this venue to access the EIN's non-html electronic
information which is not available via PW WebSpeak .  The EIN is
working to make the "show_cursor" option the default for lynx on
all versions in use.

   With lynx's "show_cursor" option available, we hope to provide
more useful access with speech.   If we determine that the three
reading machine systems provide adequate access to non-html data
through lynx, we will obtain telephone lines for each of the three
reading machine sites.  We will also need menuing software and
communications software (such as SmartTerm for DOS) for each site.

   Security and protection from viruses continue to be serious
concerns on all CLP access technology equipment.  Present access
equipment placed in public areas is vulnerable to hackers.

   The next meeting of the CLP/EIN Assistive Technology Advisory
Committee will be held at the Library for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped, 4724 Baum Boulevard, Pittsburgh, PA  15213 at 6:00
p.m. on Monday, July 14.  We look forward to seeing you then.

REMINDER: CLP/EIN Assistive Technology Advisory Committee minutes
          are now available and posted regularly to CLP's Access
          Page.  The address is:

               www.clpgh.org/clp/LBPH/access.html