VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:26:05 -0700
Bill,
There are a couple of reasons that I am beginning to use dictation or voice
recognition programs. These programs have been around for many years but
the equipment needed to run them efficiently and effectively was far above
what the average computer user could afford. Computer speed and memory and
disk space have all gotten so much more affordable that this type of
program is now within the reach of many computer users. So I wanted to try
this type of program as a matter of curiosity as I have tried photo
editing, MIDI programs, Internet chat and voice programs and many others.
As soon as video streaming reaches a combination of affordability and
speed, I will probably try this too If I have any vision left at all.

I am not a fast typist and never learned to touch type. I am lazy in this
matter and have
just loaded a touch typing tutor on my computer because my vision has
deteriorated to the point that I often miss the keys I am trying to hit. If
there was a simple way to avoid learning to type I would take it. If I was
Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, I would dictate everything to a stenographer.

I am most fascinated by the promise of good voice activated command and
navigation programs as this would allow me to do the things I want on the
computer without straining my eyes and would save me a lot of time and
frustration.

As voice recognition becomes more affordable and more people are buying it,
Developers are putting more effort and resources into making better
programs so I think that within a few short years, vocal commands will be
common in many areas.

I recently saw a TV news story about voice activated command system for
controlling a residential home environment. The system made a lot of great
promises about it's capabilities that it could not live up to due to bug
and other technical problems related to training the system to distinguish
an individuals voice as opposed to the voice that emanates from background
devices such as the television . There were a lot of funny stories about
mysterious things taking place in some of the first such homes where this
system was installed as the computer turned lights on and off or started
the heater up or locked the doors due to things said on a television show
that the owner was watching.

In one home it was found that a pet cocktail was turning the lights and the
radio on and off to entertain itself when it's owner was gone.

I suspect that these bugs will be ironed out in a while and we will  begin
to see many devices controlled by our voice in public and at home.

Voice recognition and voice control of many of the things we use is coming
of age and people are intrigued and fascinated by it. Aside from the people
who really need such an interface, there are many more who are interested
in it and want to try it.

Joshua

"Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>