VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:19:31 +1000
I downloaded the Microsoft Speech Engine and it comes with a whole suite of
dictation software but as yet I haven't played with this, I can give you
the url if interested but be warned the whole suite of software is 42 meg
long so it will take quite a few hours to download.

I use the Microsoft Speech Engine as a software synthesizer on those
programs that will support it and its really worth hearing.

Cheers

At 15:52 17/08/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I have similar hunches, so I would like to play around with a dictation
>system.
>
>I often find that I am not clear about what I am saying until I write it
>down So, I favor typing for text creation. I sometimes compose on tape and
>then type it into the computer, but even there, I edit as I type. It has
>to do with slowing down the process, for the good.
>
>However, a lot of my keystrokes ar just switches from one function to
>another.
>
>I think I would like just saying, "Switch document," of "save."
>Peter Seymour
>
>On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Bill Pasco wrote:
>
>> Dear List Members,
>>
>> I am just curious.  Why is there so much attention given to dictation
>> programs?  I could understand it if the computer user had limited use of
>> hands or arms, but typing seems so much more efficient.
>>
>> For my part, I find it much easier to think and compose while typing, and
>> getting every thought expressed just right, than I do when talking.  I
>> used to dictate letters and such all the time before the coming of the
>> word processor and speech output.
>>
>> I can see where verbal system commands could be useful, particularly in a
>> graphic environment, but why not, instead of verbal dictation, a command
>> driven overlay to directly access the elements of the graphic interface.
>>  It seems that a verbal command is essentially the same thing.
>>
>> I am honestly interested in various perspectives on this.  Let's here the
>> whys of dictation programs.
>>
>> Bill Pasco

Dane Trethowan
P.O. Box 244