VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Joshua L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:01:24 -0700
Hi Peter, here is one idea that I would like to hear:
A vocally interactive screen reader, dictation program, and vocal mouse or
call it a bird. Maybe a navigation bird or dove or whatever. This program
would allow one to say, for instance, "what's on my screen now?" the bird
would start in one corner or on an edge as directed and describe a birds
eye view  of the screen.

Here's a demo:
Me: Give me an overview of what's on my screen Mr. Bird? Please start at
the top and                              work your way down.

Bird: The eudora window is maximized and there are two windows open within
eudora. On the right your mailbox window is open and on the left a reply
to: window is open and ready for you to write in. There is nothing open in
the tray. It is 8:00 PM"

Me: Please read the message that I am replying to.

Bird:  "Peter wrote:
Any more ideas out there? Think of a software product that could be
marketed right away. It is ready to go and to start helping blind people
to live more productive lives, no matter where they live."

Me:  Ok, that's enough. Who is this reply addressed to:

Bird: It is addressed to "VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group
List.

Me:   Place my cursor at the top of the body of the reply screen. I will
dictate.

Bird: Your cursor is at the top of the body of the reply window, you may
begin dictating.

Me:   Begin Dictation. "Hi Peter, Here is one idea that I would like to
hear:"
          End dictation. Spell check.

Bird:   I'm correcting vocally

Me:     OK

Bird:   I didn't recognise E U D O R A what would you like me to do?

Me:    Add it to the dictionary.

Bird:  The spell check is complete.

Me:   Sign my name, send, and cc a copy to peter.

Bird:  Done sending

Me:   exit Eudora and open word. I will type.

Bird:  Word is open and you may  begin typing.

Me:   play the cd in drive D.

                "The Hills are alive with the sound of music"

                        chirp, chirp, chirp.
End of Demo

What do you think Peter?

Joshua

At 08:47 PM 8/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Any more ideas out there? Think of a software product that could be
>marketed right away. It is ready to go and to start helping blind people
>to live more productive lives, no matter where they live.
>
>It also has features that are useful to the fully sighted population.
>
>If nothing else, I'd like to hear of a product that does something far
>better than its competitors.
>
>Thank you.
>Peter Seymour
>
>On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Peter Seymour wrote:
>
>> I am writing a screenplay in which a blind "envisionary" has invented a
>> wonderful computer product that the main character wants to get to market.
>>
>> Hey everybody. This is your chance to use your imaginations and tell me
>> about the most useful or amazing computer product that you can imagine.
>> Don't make it too practical. I can always trim it back. But, I would like
>> to know of a great invention that you would like to see, even if you think
>> it can't or won't get made.
>>
>> Thank you all in advance.
>>
>> Peter Seymour
>>

>VICUG-L ARCHIVES     http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html