VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:20:55 -0500
Here Here!
I completely agree. I am a paraplegic working as a rehab. counselor for the
blind and visually impaired. Another key is it takes one to know one.
People with disabilities experience life from a different angle..... the
same but different. We are individuals who happen to have disabilities and
we each have things to offer, because we are people. The disability is only
a part of us, not the deciding factor. We have to take the initiative to go
out and produce.  It can be an uphill road, and I as a rehab. counselor try
to level the playing field, and educating employers as to the
productivity/capabilities of the blind and visually impaired can be very
difficult. But the best placements are when they have experienced
productive employees and they don't look at the applicant as a blind
person, but as someone who is qualified for the job.