From:
"Axelrod, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 07:36:13 -0800
> Cliff Wrote:
>
> Traditionally COM 1 and COM3 share IRQ4
> and COM2 and COM4 share IRQ3.
>
> You can install COM ports which share the
> same IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest) resource
> but you can NOT use the two COM ports at
> the same time.
>
> Here, a mouse on COM1 would be used in Windows
> all the time. So when you tried to use the modem
> on COM3, it wouldn't work.
>
> I suggest:  If you don't use the Ham equipment
> when you use the modem, then put the modem
> on COM1 and the HAM gear on COM3, with the
> mouse on COM2.
>
> I always put my mouse on COM2 anyway, since
> COM2 has a higher priority than COM1 or COM3
> (IRQ3 has a higher priority than IRQ4).  HTH.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Chin

hi:

Could you confirm the above information?

For some reason, I got the idea (quite a while ago) that if you have
your mouse on com 1 you can't put your modem on com 2.  Consequently
I've always put my mouse on com 1 and my modem on com 3.  This seems to
have worked for me, although there are a couple of exceptions I have
recently noticed.

One thought:  Has this recently changed with the invent of newer
technology (i.e. pentium MB's).  (my pentium that I'm using now uses the
com1, com3 combo quite well).

Another possibility:  Is the IRQ settings different for mother boards
with the IO on the board as apposed to MB's that you have to purchase
separate IO boards?

Thanks for you help in clearing up this (lingering) confusion.

Marc Axelrod