Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 21:33:59 +1000
I apologize for having posted what may have seemed a cryptic personal
message to this list.  One of the list moderators has asked me to expand on
this experience.

I had posted a couple days before that I was unable to get a mono card to
work on a linux box.  The problem was a simple one indeed---the card was
bad, as evidenced by replacing it with a known working card from an XT
clone.

I am still flying high---it's really, really nice to be able to have  some
documentation open on another monitor.  The hardware is cheap, there is a
linux kernel patch that works pretty well.

X11 can be running as the active interface on the Matrox Millenium svga card,
while the amber monitor still updates any active processes on that "virtual
terminal".   SVGA output from gnuplot running on the mono console is
displayed on the color svga monitor.  X11 does blank out when one has
switched to the mono terminal.  The monitors are a Mag Innovision DJ530 15"
SVGA monitor and a Goldstar 12" amber mono monitor.

I post this information in the hopes it is helpful and interesting,
apologizing for bandwidth I may have wasted.

Alan

> It worked!  Just for your interest, I replaced the putative hercules
> card with another, and I now have two functioning monitors under linux:
> one Matrox and one old 25x80 amber monitor.  This is extremely friendly.

Alan Davis

----- End forwarded message -----

--
"Our loyalties are to the species and the       Alan E. Davis
planet.  We speak for Earth. Our                [log in to unmask]