From:
"Glen L. Bowes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:10:35 +0000
> 1)  Why would you install the motherboard in the case on top of the pink
> foam anti-static pad?  This is the first one I have ever seen like this.

Really, you wouldn't. The foam is simply an insulating precaution for
shipping.

> 2)  What would cause the PC to not boot every time you turn the power
> switch on?  All of the lights come on, the hard drive spins up, but the
> monitor never flashes the video bios message.  A quick reboot usually
> brings it right on or turn the power off, waiting a couple of seconds
> and then flipping it back on.

Ideally you'd want to take the machine back to the dealer. When the
foam packing is left on the back of the motherboard, one's left
wondering if this wasn't a real rush job. No offence to the dealer,
perhaps this was just an oversight, but best to let the warranty
(there is one isn't there?) take care of it.

Possible causes are kind of difficult to diagnose at a distance, but
first the delaer will want to get rid of the foam, mount the
motherboard properly, check the video card, memory, and other
adpaters...

Glen L. Bowes
Bowes Computer Service
[log in to unmask] - http://www.iaw.on.ca/~bowes