From:
Loy Pressley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 05:51:33 -0800
> Michael C. Bacsa wrote:

> I recently upgraded an older Packard Bell Multi-Media PC and I want to
> replace the 400Mg HD with a larger one but I don't know how large of a drive.
> the bios will recognize. Unfortunately, I don't have any manuals or
> documentation that came with the PC. I'm running Win95a; AMD586 /133; 36Mg
> Ram
> ...The Bios are: Phoenix (04/19/90)  A486 Version 1.01.E
> Thanks for your help!

I just recently did what I think you will have to do to solve you HD
problem: Upgrade the system bios.  I, too, had Phoenix Bios Ver 1.01.E
and wanted to run a 1.7 gig HD with it.  I tried everything I could
think of, including some very good recommendations from the helpful
people on this list, and finally settled on upgrading the bios.  The
bios upgrade was easy to do and has worked fine ever since it was
completed.

You can get the latest Phoenix bios upgrade for your system from
http://www.firmware.com/.  The bios upgrade cost $79, came on a floppy
disk, and was completed without any problems.  I'm now running three
HD's on this system; a 5.2 gig, a 1.2 gig, and 424 Meg.

Good luck with your system.