From:
Miguel Morillo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 01:44:09 +0800
I upgraded my "buggy" (onboard parallel port bugs) Intel Triton I FX
motherboard with a newer Intel Triton TX motherboard. Everything came out
fine, except for two issues:

1. The original CD-ROM drivers that came w/ my Sound Blaster Value CD 4X
wouldn't work with the new motherboard. So, I was able to get hold of a
diskette w/ drivers (ATAPI CD-ROM/DVD-ROM Driver for Intel PIIX, V3.60 -
Ultra DMA/33 Supported - By Triones Technologies) for a TX motherboard and
after time-consuming tweaking, I was able to run the CD with the new set of
drivers. The problem is everytime I boot the PC, the driver takes such a
LONG TIME (about 2 minutes) to activate the CD before it proceeds to boot
to Windows '95. Take note that the new CD driver is loaded at the
config.sys file as --- DEVICE=C:\DRIVERCD\TRICD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P170,15 /V.

How can I speed up the initialization of the CD? What are the meaning of
the different DMA and PIO modes?

2. About 2 months after the upgrade, while using the PC, I immediately
switched off the PC because of a power fluctuation. After 15 minutes, I
switched it on again and noticed in the "My Computer" window that the slave
hard disk (primary slave w/ 3 drive partitions) is now recognized as
"Removable Disks". Before, it was recognized as Fixed Disks". Did the power
fluctuaton caused this? How do I correct this?

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain these issues.

Addendum: My CD Drive is quad speed from Creative Labs and during boot-up,
          it is detected as a MATSHITA CD-ROM CR-581

Thanks in advance!

Miguel Morillo

Miguel Morillo
PGP Key ID: 72DCD77D