From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:30:02 -0500
2/13/1998 // Shawn M. Shea wrote:

>Hi Harold. It is no problem to install a couple of printers on the one
>machine. Simply get a printer switch box (around $20) and you will be able
>to plug both printers in and switch to each from the box. I have a Belkin
>Bi-Directional Compact Parallel Auto Switch #F1U109 which allows you to
>switch between both printers with software. It works great and is also
>around $20. You will need to install the drivers for both printers.

A comment:

I have the Belkin Parallel Auto Switch, and it works fine for printers.
(Autoswitches are better than manual ones and do not harm laser
printers such as the HPs).

However, unless you buy the $60 Switch, it will NOT work with a ZIP
drive.

When I added a ZIP drive, I was not amused by this fact (and in
retrospect, I would buy the new ZIP+ or the SCSI one). The ZIP
and my HP Laser 4 do not get along on the same LPT port.

If you have IRQs to spare, I would recommend the LPT2 solution
as being more flexible. Spend more and get a LPT card that will
use SEVERAL IRQs, not just IRQ5 and IRQ7 (your sound card
normally occupies IRQ5 and LPT1 is on IRQ7).

Then you can add a ZIP, a Scanner, etc. later without problems.

Regards,

John Chin

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]