From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 00:59:37 -0500
 2/12/1998 Mark Walter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  I'm not sure if this is an off topic question, I hope not. Was
>wondering what all around reference manual or repair "bible" might be
>the best? Im stuck right now on a problem with installing a new power
>supply and switch, got 3 machines here and all 3 have a different
>connection(all 3 are push switches) on the switch. The switch has 4
>connections 2 marked p1 and 2 labeled p2.
> There must be a good book to be able to get answers for these simple
>troubles rather than bothering the group with it or searching the
>web.

Mark:

At our college we use Scott Mueller's "Upgrading and Repairing
PCs" 8th Edition, Que Books.  I recommend it highly. There
are a few other good reference books (such as Minasi's) so
pick the one you like reading.

The leads to the power switch carry AC power when the Power
Supply is plugged in, so be very CAREFUL handling these.

First, check the Power Supply diagram. This will supercede
everything else.

Normally, the BROWN and BLUE wires are the live and neutral
feeds which carry the AC power from the power cord. Plug
these into the same set of tabs on the switch.

The BLACK and WHITE wires carry the AC electricity from the
switch to the Power Supply, and plug into the same set of tabs
on the other side of the switch.

---BROWN -------o/   o------BLACK----

If the wires are a black pair and a white pair, you
keep the black wires on one side and white wires
on the other. Any green wire (ground) goes to the case.

Hope that helps.

John Chin

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]