From:
Constance Chang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 1998 08:58:48 -0700

> I have 5x86-133 and one parallel port with printer and zip drive on it.
>
> We are now discussing a scanner that will need parallel also.
> I know there was a big discussion recently on this. If anyone can tell me
> how to retrieve that info I will do so.

A lot of new scanner that goes onto parallel port requires ECP port.  You
may want to make sure the port meet the requirement for your scanner.  (The
parallel port on your motherboard, if it is build on the board, should
support ECP port.  You can check it inside BIOS.)

Since you are getting another port for the scanner.  Why don't you get the
scanner that goes onto SCSI port.  The scanner usually comes with the
interface card, and it works so much faster.  Nicer too.

> I have an old serial card that I did not need with my new motherboard.
> Can I install it and set up a second parallel port.

Not unless the card has a parallel port on it.  But you will need to reset
the jumpers on the board to make sure it doesn't conflict with existing
ports.