From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:37:43 -0400
The return sequence is a new line in the redirected input file.
If your syntax is fdisk <easy.txt
then every new line in the file easy.txt will cause fdisk to think
the return was pressed.
The Escape key sequence is ASCII 27 and depending on your editor,
may be entered by holding control key down and pressing the open square bracket,
ctrl-[
or holding the alt key down and (important! you must use numberpad) typing 27,
ALT-27
You may see a left-pointing arrow appear in the place where the escape
sequence was intended.  If you don't have an editor that works for this,
(many don't allow extended character codes) you can open a dos box,
type COPY CON EASY.TXT and,  CAREFULLY, type everything in.
When your done, press the F6 function key, you will see ^Z on the
screen, and press enter. DOS will respond with, "one file copied."
The problem with this is you can't easily fix errors viathe backspace key.
Try it and you will see what I mean.

Be careful, because redirected input in DOS implies that the keyboard
should be ignored, so if you redirect 5 responses in your text file
and the program expects 6 or more, you get lost in space,
and the program hangs the computer while simultaneously waiting for
input and ignoring the keyboard (Catch 22).
Tom Turak