From:
Michael Galante <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 21:29:21 -0400
----------
> From: Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCBUILD] DDO'd drive on an LBA motherboard...
> Date: Saturday, April 11, 1998 10:06 PM
>
> Hello all,
>
>         Ever seen a computer with an 850 meg hard drive that has a
Dynamic
> Drive Overlay on it and the hard drive being on a motherboard that
> supports large hard drives?
>
>         This person had a new motherboard installed recently and the tech
> just plugged in the hard drive with the DDO still on it.  The
> computer has a ton of problems; not running smoothly at all.  As a
> matter of fact, it won't even completely boot into WIN95.  It says
> "...this program will shut down...".
>
>         Anyway, she wants to do a total re-format and re-install, but
> shouldn't the DDO be taken off?  If so, how is that done if she
> doesn't have the software program?  It's a Maxtor drive.
>
>         Suggestions?  Specifics?
>
> Thanks a million...
> Harold E. Schumacher, Jr.
> --
> **********  Know Fear...
>                 Proverbs 9:10
>                      <><      **********
> Mailto:[log in to unmask]

the drive should have come with an installation disk with a program called
MAXBLAST on it.you have to run maxblast and remove the DDO from the drive.
Then it must be reformatted.reformatting does NOT remove the DDO from the
drive.
if you don't have the Maxblast disk, it can be downloaded from Maxtor's
website.
http://www.maxtor.com

Maxtor has a great tech support line. you can call it toll free at
1-800-262-9867.
i had the same problem and Maxtor's technician faxed me a copy of the
instructions to do this and then walked me through it step by step.

michael galante
Mailto:[log in to unmask]