Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:42:34 +0200
Hello,

I helped a friend set up a new Pentium II (Intel Mobo) machine and the
Intel Mobo has a Yamaha OPL-3 SA3 sound chip on board. Everything works
fine under Win95, but various DOS applications and games cannot find the
FM chip, which I assume has to be simulated by the OPL. Games like Doom,
Duke 3d, Heretic, Hexen, etc. have sound effects but no music. I am
unfamiliar with this chip, obviously. The Intel documentation is
minimal, only mentioning the chip, the CD has drivers for Win95, but
nothing about DOS applications. I was unable to find out anything on the
Yamaha or Intel web-sites. Setting the blaster environment in the
autoexec.bat didn't seem to help at all.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have full SB compatability in
DOS applications under Win95 with this chip? If it is, can anyone tell
me how to go about setting it up?

Thanks much in advance!

Respectfully,

Bruce

--
        Bruce Boschek - Haus Christiansruh - Nidda, Germany
[log in to unmask] - CompuServe ID 100331,2566